Saturday, August 8, 2009

Negative Energy of Rude People in Line at Walgreen's

First, I know it's uncool to talk on your cell phone at the register. I know this. In fact, I kind of frown up on doing it myself, and have probably done it enough times in my life to be able to count on one hand.

On the other hand, we live in a free country, and though it bothers the fuck outta me, if somebody is going to be rude and self-absorbed enough to do it, people should just let them and get past the incident, in my humble opinion.

Let me expound:
The other day I was at Walgreen's, buying stuff, duh. ( I LOVE 'pharamacies' and 'convenience stores' by the way, like, almost to the point of unhealthy addiction) Anyway, this sort of, well, brash woman with a grandiose attitude and a loud voice was bustling and storming through the store, shopping like a woman without a country, and all-the-while talking a mile-a-minute on her magical cell phone. Now, already, she's on my nerves. I mean, I'm in my own little world, shopping and getting things I need and enjoying the general ambience of Walgreens, whatever that means, but still this... well, this person ( I'm trying to be positive here ) is power-walking her way all over the store, carrying on a conversation loud enough for probably the entire store to hear.
Okay, fine, whatever... but then, ha ha, wouldn't ya know, and not that I really cared, but she ends up right in front of me in line. I was over it at this point. I just wanted my stuff, and I was tuning her out, just kind of eavesdropping every now and then.
Alright, well, at one point, as she's speaking, still loudly, as people are lined up behind her and before her in line, she intones "I know, it's just WEIRD!" Okay, so... then something happened that actually DID set me on edge... This very angry-looking, red-faced overweight gentleman turned her way, scowled and said "ya know what's WEIRD? talking on your cell phone at the register!!!"
Okay, I know, some of you are cheering him on at this point, right? That's fine, I get it, but... wow... I actually was more undone by his vocally awkward intrusion into her private business, and the manner in which he chose to express his displeasure. It was just... I don't know, unnerving. I guess the way I see it is this: Yes, it's annoying and rude to talk on your cell phone in line at the cash register, but damn, it's downright unsettling, I think, to get confrontational about it. It takes the negativity up a notch, and just fouls the energy of the space.

Apart from that, I just bought my first MGMT CD ( yes, I do still buy CDs, must as I love my little iPOD ) and I must say, I'm sorry I put off lisetning to them for so long.

Okay, I'm done for now.
I promise I'll have more to blog about soon, I've just been very busy recently.

xoxo,
Chris

2 comments:

  1. I agree! Walgreens/CVS is actually kind of relaxing. I'm used to regular grocery stores, so it's kind of a treat for me to go pick up my monthlies and look at magazines and pringles and stuff. :D

    Wow...There are so many situations I can think of where its okay to bitch out someone on thier cellphone, but standing in line, directly unprovoked in a Walgreens is not one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally on board with the convenience/pharmacy kind of store love. I hang around CVS like it's my job to do so. They have everything I want/need/shouldn't have all at a good price... why not troll around?

    and I lose my temper sometimes and snap at people being rude (yelled at a girl at Anime Boston for playing her ocarina in the line to get our con badges.. she didn't know how to play and was playing for like. an hour. I was fed up).. but I dunno about in line at walgreens.. with someone talking. It'd annoy me but that is a little awkward to get THAT mad.

    But at the same time? Once you bring your cell phone conversation into a volume that we can all hear? it's public. Cell-phone use in the line is like asking people to listen. It's more like a public conversation where you're only hearing one side. So I mean. It's not REALLY her private life. She's advertising half that conversation to everyone in the store.

    ReplyDelete