Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Indispensible Commodities??? of Futurama Voices and Abdul-ish Choices


So, the cast of Futurama is getting their dough and all those who lick the boots of that mediocre show can now rejoice.

Ya know, good for them, because they are my compatriots, these VAs, my peers, my co-workers, in essence. I'm glad, despite the fact that I was one of the many males up to replace Fry ( supposedly ) in Billy West's stead. The thing is... I mean, argh, how does your humble bloggist say this? I can't get too excited because I fucking HATE Futurama! There. I ripped the Band-Aid off the wound and said it. But again, yay for the actors who held out, because, and this is a lesson all actors must learn about themselves, and live, no matter how much scorn they face: ACTORS HAVE VALUE! That is why so many of those who voice Anime do so many OTHER things with their voices, because the pay for dubbing Anime is, quite frankly, shit. So yes, we do commercials, and narrations, and audio books, and video games, and whatever else our agents can wrangle up for us, and oh while I'm on this rant: YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT I CHARGE 'APPEARANCE FEES' AT CONVENTIONS!!! Why? Because, a. I've been in well over 100 shows and have voiced characters considered 'iconic' in the Zeitgeist of Anime culture and b. I'm a con 'veteran' and a member of the '50+' club, meaning I've attended well-over fifty conventions. Also, this may surprise many people but CONVENTIONS ARE WORK! Even when they're in England, or Chicago, or L.A., it's not all "holiday", believe me. And even apart from all that, when we appear at conventions we miss out on work and potential work. THAT having all been said, my appearance fee is still very modest by most people's standards...

WHEW!

Wow, that was sorta random...

Okay, onto the related Paula Abdul story.

How is Paula's 'not returning' to American Idol related?
Because, like the VA's for Futurama, she is simply holding out for more money, and again, rightfully so. That show would be NOTHING without the three original judges. If one leaves, the other two become an imbalanced force, and please, please don't tell me you think that woman they brought on last season could replace Paula... come on now!
And I know, the media is already reporting Paula's departure is in the bag, but just wait. They'll offer her more money, and she'll come back... and you know what?
GOOD FOR HER!


xoxo,
Chris

5 comments:

  1. Wishing you the best of luck baby! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY CRAP CHRIS!?!?!?! You were up for the role of Fry?!?! OMGOMGOMG!!!
    You may have not liked that show, but I did/do! I think it had declined a bit after the first few seasons, but when it started, it was pretty freakin' cool!

    -Shan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it's unreasonable that you charge appearance fees, I mean come on, anyone who's even been to a convention even as an attendee can say that it's tiring. All that I've done is artist alley stuff and that shit is exhausting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's crazy that some events would assume that you wouldn't charge an appearance fee, as if they're doing you some irrevocable favor just by asking you to attend? Hell they charge every guest that attends an entrance fee, they pay the facility in which said event is held. Why then, I ask you, would they not pay their draw? That's like Cesar's Palace having a huge once a year gala and inviting Elton John to perform and then not paying him...Ridiculous! Sorry man, if things weren't hard enough, now they want you to work for free...Come on people wake up, if things continue down this spiriling pathway, the pendulum will never swing again back in our favor towards resurrecting the anime industry. We all have to do our part, no matter how small. Be a part of the solution, not the problem. No matter how cliche that sounds, it's never been more true. Probably the same damn events that host fan subbing panels and workshops or have fan subs in the viewing rooms...AAAHHH!

    Take care everyone, I need to go soak my head.

    ReplyDelete