Monday, August 3, 2009

Bad Booth Words

hello friends, enemies, and all those in-between!

today I decided I wanted to talk about Voice Acting a bit, because one particular, kinda funny thing has been on my mind recently, since I've been voicing these Math Modules for LearningMate.

First, of all, I have to say I love doing eLearning work, because it's a great workout for the vocal instrument, it furthers your prowess at cold reading, and it's also pretty steady work.

But, one thing you discover really fast with this kind of work is what your BAD WORDS are. Meaning, the words that trip your tongue up, tangle your cheeks and overall just make you stop the take and say SHIT really loud into the mic, hopefully not deafening your engineer...

Mine, dear readers, is "substitute". I don't know why, but especially when I'm in a good narrating zone, and we're trucking along with these math modules, explaining the hell outta some algebra, whenever we come to the word "substitute", my mouth has the MOST difficult time pronouncing it. It almost feels like my tongue becomes momentarily, partially paralyzed, or that it has a very stupid mind of its own, and just doesn't want to say the word to full clarity. Argh! We all have words that trip us up, but man, nothing has ever vexed my sessions like "substitute".

Just though I'd share that little bit of booth biz with ya.

And, I'm very happy to say I have to new auditions for animated shows coming up this week that I'm pretty stoked about. Updates on those as they come, and best of luck to all of you in all you do!


xoxo,
Chris

3 comments:

  1. I have words like that all the time. I'll attempt saying them and it makes me sound stupid. For some reason "inquiring" and "application" are among my words. Which makes it VERY difficult to ask someone about the status of your job application. I just trip over the words and I'm fairly certain I just sound like I'm farting out of my mouth. And because I recognize this, I give the people working this really awkward look.

    It's embarrassing. Atleast in voice acting you can do another take haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My word like that is definately Elevated, I pronounce it Eleavated... which is wrong I know, and everytime I say it I'm corrected... lol oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine is constituency. I think it's the "titchew" my mouth just can't seem to work around.... In order to say this properly, I over-enunciate.

    ReplyDelete